Neighborhood Transformation

Neighborhood Transformation
Historic African American Sites in Miami-Dade

  • Ebenezer Stirrup Residence

    This two story structure was built of durable Florida pine in 1897 by Ebenezer Stirrup; its the first home on the left side of Historic Charles Ave (photo) looking west and reminds us why Bahamians were attracted and recruited to be the earliest builders in South Florida; Charles Ave was also home to other Bahamian immigrants who came to work in Miami s burgeoning hotel industry; 3242 Charles Ave

  • Coconut Grove Cemetery

    The final resting place of the earliest Black settlers in South Florida; the Coconut Grove Cemetery Association, comprised of Miami s early prominent African American citizens, formally organized this burial place in 1913 in the Charles Ave district

  • Macedonia Missionary Baptist Church

    The original church consisted of whites and blacks at Union Chapel from before 1884; the Black members branched out in 1894 to form the 56 Members Church which met in a house; shortly afterwards the church was renamed Macedonia Baptist; the church moved to its location in 1948; Sunday worship 7:30a & 11a; 3315 Douglas Road at Charles Ave; 305-445-6459

  • Dana A Dorsey Residence

    An exterior peek at the home of one of Miami s most prominent black real estate entrepreneurs in 1915; one of the first houses of its time to feature electricity when opened; this national Historic landmark is now a private residence; no tours; 250 NW 9th St (Dana A Dorsey Street)

  • Greater Bethel AME Church

    Founded 1896, it is one of the oldest remaining African American congregations in the city; the church, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is a mixture of grand architectural styles; Sunday worship 7:30a & 11a; 245 NW 8th Street at NW 2nd Ave; 305-371-9102

  • Lyric Theatre

    Recently renovated, this two story masonry vaudeville and movie theatre was its Apollo and Miami s contribution to the Chitlin' Circuit; built by prominent black entrepreneur Gedar Walker in 1915, it was the apex of African American entertainment and social life in Overtown; note the prominent Miami Times mural on the site of the theatre; 819 NW 2nd Ave at 8th Street; 305-358-1146

  • Historic Overtown Folklife Village

    Under the leadership of Archivist Dorothy Jenkins the former "Harlem of the South"; Overtown, is recovering from highway intrusion and "urban renewal"; although many buildings like the Sir John Hotel at Sixth St and 3rd Ave which hosted Ella Fitzgerald, Count Basie, Cab Calloway, and Josephine Baker are gone, there are notable historic buildings in various stages of renovation, including: Carver Hotel at NW 9th Street and 3rd Ave, Dr Davis Office Building at NW 2nd Ave and 10th Street, and the Cola-Nip Building at 233-5 NW 9th Street

  • Booker T Washington School

    First public school in South Florida to provide a 12th grade education for black children; the recent renovation of this functioning school was accented with an exquisite monument dedicated to the teachings of Booker T Washington; 1200 NW 6th Ave; 305-324-8900

  • St John's Baptist Church

    Founded in 1906; this art deco edifice was built in 1906 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places; now St John s Institutional Missionary Baptist Church; youth & adult choir in this 400 congregation; Sunday worship 7:30a & 11a, 7p; 1328 NW 3rd Ave; 305-372-3877

  • House of God of Nazarene

    One of the oldest remaining churches in Overtown district; Sunday worship 11a; 1042 NW 3rd Ave at 8th Street; 305-374-2031

  • Ebenezer Methodist Church

    Organized in 1898 in Overtown, but moved here in 1957; notable in its worship services and fellowship; Sunday worship 7:30a & 11:15a; 2001 NW 35th Street near 19th Ave; 305-635-7413

  • Muhammad's Mosque

    Miami branch of the Nation Of Islam; Sunday worship 2p; 5660 NW 7th Ave; 305-756-9136 or 0111

  • Masjid Al-Ansar

    Orthodox Muslim mosque; opened over 30 years ago, the oldest and largest Masjid in South Florida; Friday worship 1:30p; 5245 NW 7th Ave at 52nd Street; 305-757-8741

  • Lincoln Park Cemetery

    With remains interred since the late 19th century it is one of the oldest Black cemeteries in Dade County; 3001 NW 46th Street

  • Opa-locka City Hall

    This functioning site on the National Register of Historic Places is based on the Moorish theme derived from the tale "Ali Baba and his Forty Thieves"; you have probably seen this building on an ad; an African American mayor has headed this community for a number of years; 777 Sharazad Blvd;

  • Harry Hurt Building

    Another site on the National Register of Historic Places with the same Moorish Revival architectural theme as city hall; today it is an office building owned by Opa-locka Community Development Corporation at 490 Opa-locka Blvd; 305/ 687-3545

  • Hampton House Motel

    The historic but ruined Hampton House Motel, on NW 27th Avenue at corner of NW 42nd. Street (just north of SR 112 Expressway) was the gathering spot for Miami’s African-American movers and shakers during the final years of segregation in the 1950s and early '60s. It attracted musicians including Sam Cooke, Ella Fitzgerald and James Brown and well-known figures such as Muhammad Ali, Malcolm X and Martin Luther King Jr., who convened meetings with local civil rights activists there. was shuttered in the early 1970s after its business died following the lifting of segregation, which opened other options for black Miamians. It had been slated for demolition when the County declared it a historic landmark and purchased it. It is currently undergoing rehabilitation as a museum, cultural center and office space.